Friday, April 20, 2007

My Uncle.......

Tomorrow will be the memorial service for my Uncle. My mom is having a really hard time with his death, as is my grandma. Like I have said before, it is just amazing how quickly something can happen, and our lives are altered forever. I know he is in a better place now, and he is with my Grandpa. Not a day goes by that I do not think of my Grandpa, and how much I miss him.

It is so amazing how much him and my Uncle Don looked so much alike. My heart is so heavy for my Aunt, and my cousins. Life is so short we all need to treasure every minute of it. This is my favorite saying......

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away...."

For Uncle Don.....You will always be in my heart. I love you and I will miss you.


Don Brent Hjorth 57, quickly passed away in the morning of April 16, 2007 from heart failure. Son of Don Carlos and Louise Averett, he was born in Payson Utah November 13, 1949 and grew up in Mapleton. A graduate of Springville High School, Don also attended Brigham Young University and most recently Salt Lake Community College. He served an LDS Mission on the Navajo reservation in the four corners area where he learned to love the Navajo people and learned their language.
Upon returning from his mission, he married Janie Crandall in the Manti LDS Temple on November 30, 1972. His career began at Maple Service, a family business where he worked with his father and brother Charlie Hjorth installing and servicing gas stations up and down the Wasatch Front. Later, he took over the company and continued to expand their services all throughout Utah establishing close relationships with both his clients and vendors.
His passions included golf and skiing and he loved teaching his four children to ski when they were just 5 years old. Boating and spending time on Lake Powell and other resorts brought him great peace and joy. He loved the beautiful red rocks of Southern Utah and especially spending time there with his family and friends.
The hallmark of Don's life was service to others. Those who knew him best were never surprised to see him giving of his time and concern. His desire to help those in need was demonstrated in the last years of his life by his study of medicine. A giving person to the end, his final wishes were to donate his body to assist those who would benefit from his organs and from the study of the human body. For this reason, no funeral or graveside service will be held.
He is preceded in death by his Father Carlos and is survived by his Mother Louise, Sisters Nolene (Calvin) Sumsion; Ellen Thoresen; Diane (Steve) Kropf and his Brother Charles (Marlene). His wife Janie, daughters Sallie (Marc) Jones of Mason City, IA, Audrey (Ryan) Johnson of S.F., sons Andy (Tannie) Hjorth of Springville and Kenny (Heidi) Hjorth of A.F. and his 10 grandchildren.
A memorial service will be at 1:00 p.m. Saturday, April 21, at the Mapleton North Stake Center 475 N. 1600 W. Hwy 89 In Mapleton. Friends can meet with the family 1 hour prior to service.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be accepted at any Zions Bank under Don Hjorth's name.
Published in the Daily Herald on 4/18/2007.

1 comment:

Kei said...

Prayers & thoughts of comfort go out to you & your family.

(((HUGS)))
Kei