Monday, November 19, 2007

Poor Baby......

Rhett has been sick since Friday, throwing up, and not able to keep anything down. No Pedialyte, no meds, N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

Even if I don't feed him he is dry heaving like no tomorrow. His poor little eyes are black all around them from the retching. I took him in today to the doctor, diagnoses, ear infections, and a really nasty sore throat. No strep though.

They gave him a penicillin shot, and we have given him some suppositories to stop the vomiting. However he has had 4 doses now, and I see absolutely no improvement. He takes two sucks on his bottle, and within 2 minutes it's all back up. He has a fever of 103.9, and it has stayed that way since last night. Motrin knocks it down a bit, but he can't keep the Motrin down long enough for it to take full effect.

His oxygen sats are a mess, on 1 1/2 liters of O2 constantly, and is satting at 95. With out O2 he drops to 87. His heart rate is 179, and that is really high for him. Very rarely does it get above 110. I am contributing it to his fever.

This weekend I was not overly concerned, but now I am getting there. He is so lethargic, and when he is more awake, all he does is cry. I worry about dehydration of course, but I also worry that there is something else going on. Usually ear infections don' t knock him down this hard. I can't count the times I have gone into a Dr. and had them tell me he has double ear infections, and he has not acted any different than the norm.

Also this throwing up is odd to me. When he has a sore throat he usually is really gaggy, but not this constant ongoing vomiting. I feel so bad for him.

I can't even get him to watch Sesame Street or Signing Time. What do you think I should do? Watch him tonight, and see if that shot kicks in and he does better, or take him to the ER for more testing, and possible IV fluids to get him back up? He had the shot about 12:45 this afternoon, and it's now 5 pm.

Okay, off to pace the floors again with him. Poor little fella, it breaks my heart to see him so sick.

6 comments:

Mayte said...

See if maybe you can get Tylenol suppositories for the fever. They always work to lower the fever even if they throw up. I hope he feels better. Also, about the ear infections, we go with Joaquin every six weeks to the ENT so that he can monitor the fluid in his ears and to check if he is hearing ok. We will be praying for Rhett to get better.

RK said...

This sounds an awful lot like our bout with Rotavirus in April...dehydration would be my concern too. Braska was severely dehydrated and ended up getting flown to St. Louis and spent a week in the hospital. If it were me, I'd not wait too long to get him checked out again... I'll be praying tonight for sure.

Kaden's mommy said...

I am so sorry that poor little Rhett feels so terrible. I think if you feel that there is something else going on that you should go ahead and take him to the ER. I agree with you, to have that high of a temp with an ear infection along with all of the other symptoms seems kind of unusual. Kaden has had one really bad ear infection, and like Rhett it didn't slow him down too much either. So I would say, go with your gut instinct.

On another note, I noticed that Rhett likes signing time...one of Kaden's favorites!!! I am so grateful for those DVD's, Kaden was able to pick the signs up quick (and so were mom and dad, lol). Well, I pray that Rhett gets better really soon, and that you do not get too exhausted. Take care, Amy

Marla Fauchier Baltes said...

Poor Rhett. I think it sounds like he will need an IV for fluids soon. I am sure the hospital is the last thing you want to do. Better to be safe than sorry. At least that is what we always say when we are debating. Keep us posted.

Brent & Jodie said...

Poor buddy! Get the Tylenol suppositories. I think they are sold under the name Fever All. They are kind of pricey but sooo worth it, especially if he is throwing up. It may be time to take him in also. I know how much you love going up there but it sounds like he may need to. Tyler had rotavirus last spring and it was miserable. He has also had hand, foot, mouth disease which is miserable as well. If Rhett has any sores in his mouth, that may be it.
We'll be praying for all of you.

Christine said...

Hi. I just found your blog.I would take him in in the morning if he is still vomiting. I have had a couple of hospital visits to get my kids IV fluids. Sometimes, it's all they need to start feeling better.

God Bless Rhett. Hope he feels better soon.