Sunday, February 4, 2007

Things are moving slowly......

Well we are working on getting Rhett better. He has some pulmonary edema, and a pulmonary effusion. (spelling?) They are trying to get the fluid off of him, so that his lungs can expand. They have tried giving him a lasix drip, which has helped with his swelling, and he looks more like my baby. They are giving him a different type of sedation medication so that he can be more awake, but not thrashing around. Everytime they suction him it takes him a while to recover, espically if they have just moved him. His sats will drop to the mid 80's for about 10 min, and his respirations will come up some, so he is still one sick little boy.

It is so hard seeing the parents that are holding their babies, because right now that is all I want to do. I just want to pick him up and rock him. I did get a little grin out of him today though. He opened his eyes and looked at me, and I said "Hey there's my baby bear!" and he grinned. Oh that felt sooo good. I can't wait for the tube to come out so I can see all of his new teeth. I can't see the top ones at all, but I can see the bottom ones. He is such a sweet boy. I love him so much.

I think that Andy and I have learned a huge lesson in the miracle of forgivness up here. I'm not saying that we are not going to take action, but we have been able to forgive the two nurses. I don't think the mistake itself will ever acutally be forgiven, but the nurses can be. They have been devastaded by it also, the one who was supposed to double check it came up to me today, it was the first day that she had been able to come back since it happened. She came up and told us that she was very sorry. She was still very upset, and I told her that her apology ment alot, and thanked her for it.

Andy and I have come to terms with everything, and we both are 100% sure that he will be ok. He just needs some time to heal. The Dr's have been very staighforward and honest with us, and the attending Dr. told us that his issues that he is having is "bread and butter for the PICU". So we take comfort in knowing that we know what is wrong and what caused it, and how to treat it. Thank you for all of the prayers and support, and now lets just pray that the healing process will be faster than it has been so that we can take our baby home soon.


jennifer said...

You are absolutely right. You will have your boy home soon.

I am inspired and proud of the way you have handled this sitution. We can't choose what happens to us, but we can choose how we react to it, and you have shown nothing but love and grace and committment. It's truly beautiful.

I'll continue to pray, but mostly to thank you, for your light.

Jessica said...

I just came home last night from being out of town and I had no clue that Rhett was sick! You guys are in our thoughts and prayers!

Feel better soon Rhett!

Anonymous said...

Instead of thinking about lawsuits, how about falling to your knees and thanking the Lord for the miracle of your son's life??????

mom2rhett said...

until you have been in my shoes do not criticize me. I have done so much thanking and my knees have sores on them from being on them so much. When you spend 24 hours a day in a hospital with your child you have alot of thinking to do. I also have to think of the long term effects of this, and I am going to make sure that Rhett is taken care of, and that if he does have any issues that he will be taken care of. I don't care if I get a dime. I just want him to be taken care of. But why am I explaining myself to you, obviously you have no clue about anything