Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What would you do?

Rhett's O2 levels are supposed to be above 95 for his pulmonary hypertension. If the go below 95 then he is supposed to be on oxygen.

He has been on oxygen since he got sick, but we have been trying to wean him off of it during the day. He has been dropping down to the mid 80's with anything less than a half a liter.


Today his saturations on room air (no O2) are between 94 and 96. They fluctuate.


Do I keep him on O2 where he is right on the borderline of needing it, or do I let him be free of his leash?

What would you do?


RK said...

If it were me, I'd let him be free but check his sats frequently enough to be sure it wasn't dropping to a concerning level. But I must say, I'm not the MOST careful...I tend to be more lax about such things than some...so it's all your call, of course. Maybe if he's doing something still like watching a video or such, he could have it on, but if he's wanting to be up and around, he could have a bit of freedom.

It's not wrong, though, to keep him on it to make sure it stays above the line, though.

Kaden's mommy said...

I so understand how you feel. We have gone through the same thing with Kaden when he was on oxygen and know trying to wean him from the vent. You should do what you feel the most comfortable with. I tend to be a little overly cautious, so personally I would have him on some oxygen. My husband on the other hand would let him be "free." I don't think it would be harmful if he was at 94% without the oxygen, but what do I know, really. From my experience however, Kaden would sat lower if he was more energetic...I don't know if Rhett reacts the same way or not. Like I said before, you should do what you feel comfortable with. Mommy knows best. If you do decide to keep him on the oxygen, hopefully it will only be for a little while longer, and if you decide to let him run free, I would just check him often. I know what kind of pain in the butt it is for these babies to be attatched to a "leash" but we wouldn't do it if we didn't have to. I hope everything is going very well for you guys otherwise. I think the picture of daddy and Rhett is absolutely adorable. I love Rhett's leg warmers, you'll have to let me know where you got them. It would be so much easier to have those on Kaden at night when it is time to change his diaper!!! Well, take care and as always you guys are in my thoughts and prayers...Amy

Marla Fauchier Baltes said...

Being the sometimes overly cautious mom that I am I would leave him on it. He has been through so much and will be going through more. Maybe he just needs a little more time on it?? Hang in there! Hugs.

Sis Sarah said...

I would leave it on him. My son has to stay at 92 or above sat wise and if he gets down to 93 the o2 goes on.
Now if he's doing borderline can you put him on a 1/4 liter for a few hours and then check him and see if he's still maintaining?

My son sometimes takes forever to wean him back off the o2. It sure stinks. Hope he feels better soon.