Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Oh PCMC How I Missed Thee........

NOT.

Guess where we spent our day today? Yeah. It was a helluva day.

Rhett had a seizure this morning. He scared the living bejeebers out of me. I have seen nothing scarier, other than when he was overdosed and coded.

He was fine last night, he was running around everywhere. Then he slept for like 12 hours, and he woke up and started acting weird. He threw up, then glazed over, and was totally unresponsive. He was lying there making a clicking sound in the back of his throat, with his eyes wide open and staring right through me.

It felt like it lasted forever, but I don't think it was more than a minute or two. But during that time his right leg was twitching and he lost control of all of his bowels. It was so scary.

Just as I was going to call 911 he came out of it, but was really agitated. He ripped his oxygen off of his face and his feeding tube out, and clawed at his face like crazy. He acted like he didn't even know who I was.

Then it was like everything just clicked and he started sobbing and holding onto my neck saying "Mommy."

I called Andy and he came home to watch the other kids...(We have an extra one this week.) and I took Rhett up to PCMC. Drove 90 the whole way there.

We ended up spending about 10 hrs up there, and put Rhett through a battery of tests.

Final conclusion.

He has a UTI, and a viral infection as well as a fever. That combined caused the seizure. They had a really hard time getting the catheter in and he ended up bleeding like a son of a gun from his little pee pee. Now every time he pees he grabs his diaper and screams. Poor Baby.

He slept basically all day, and now is ready for bed again. I can't belive how much it took out of him.

I am ready for bed too.

Hopefully this doesn't set us back for his surgery.

Sigh.........

21 comments:

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

You know, if it's not one thing then it's another! I have a son who is an epileptic and I never EVER want to witness another seizure. Your poor little guy! I'm just shaking my head...I'll keep praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Lily had seizures when she was little tiny, they are very scary! I'm so sorry he went through that. Next time call and I'll come sit with you and bring you a diet coke and a brownie!
Suzie

Aimee said...

Poor Rhett. I am sorry Pam. If it's not one thing it's another. It breaks my heart to hear that he's had another stint at PCMC.

My Three Sons said...

OMG.... I hope he feels better soon. I'm glad to see that it was the fever that caused it and not something more serious. Thank god for that. I used to be an EMT and have seen a lot of seizures and it was always the hardest to witness little ones. The sleeping part is normal. It took a lot out of his little body and now he just needs the rest. You try to get some too.

Love Kaci

Becca said...

Oh, no! Poor little Rhett! I hate to hear that he's not well again. I'm sending the biggest hug Sammi and I can make together, and will be thinking of him and looking forward to updates!

Stephanie said...

I know how scary siezures can be. Let me know if you need anything.

Chris said...

Poor Baby! Thank God it wasn't something more serious though.

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

How scary! I'm glad that it was a UTI, that he will recover from, but geez! Rhett needs a break!! Give him a big hug from me.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I hope he is doing better this morning. I would imagine that had to be frightening!

The Bryant Family said...

I would have totally FREAKED out. I can only imagine what you were thinking and doing. Poor Guy. I hope he feels better soon.
On a different note, I have some Kangaroo pump bags from Tucker that I cleaned out of a drawer in the kitchen this week. Are you using those?

Michelle said...

oh man. Poor Rhett! Karly's had seizures, and I tell ya - SCARY. I'm glad to hear Rhett's okay!!

Kacey Bode said...

How scary!!! Poor Rhett, poor mom for having watched it. I can't imagine. I hope Rhett gets to feeling better soon, and pray it doesn't set back his surgery.

Heather said...

Oh , my, gosh, Pam!! Scary for Rhett, terrifying for you.I am so glad you are home and we are praying for better days ahead for you all.

Love, Zoey and Crew

Jodie said...

Oh my! I am so sorry. Ty had a seizure when he was in the hospital this last time and it was so scary! I am glad Rhett is okay. Please know that you are in our prayers always. Love you!

Maren said...

Oh my gosh! That had to be terrifying for both of you. I hope Rhett feels better and everything goes as scheduled.

Kari said...

OH NO!!!!!!!! We have BTDT with seizures with Chanelle. Her first one lasted 90 minutes. I'm so sorry Pam hopefully this will be it for the seizure activity. Keeping you in my prayers. Many many (((HUGS!!!!!)))

Anonymous said...

Not good. Very scary. It is so hard to watch seizures or anything like them. As you know we thought M had seizures since brith and turns out to be cyclical vomiting syndrome. Just as scary to see.

I sure hope Rhet is feeling better soon. I can't believe the poor little guy is so sick again. Sigh.

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

Reading this post just broke my heart. Poor Rhett. I am sure that is was scary for both you and Rhett. I couldn't even imagine being alone when it happened. Kaden had one once but we were already admitted in the hospital. I continue to pray for your family and Rhett's health. I hope he gets better really soon.

Niksmom said...

Aw, man! I'm sooo sorry to hear about the infection and the fever and seizure! Sending prayers and love your way.

Anonymous said...

Oh, soooo scary! Poor little sweetheart! Goodness, Pam -- I wish I could fill in and give you a breather or something... Praying that you all get a good long stretch of sanity before Rhett's surgery.

Megan said...

Poor little guy. That just broke my heart. We are saying extra prayers that Rhett gets over this UTI quickly.
Thinking of you Always
Megan