Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What it takes to keep this kid going latley.....

Last night as I was getting Rhett's meds ready for the night, I had to stop and take a picture to share this with you. This is his only his nightly meds. He adds two more in the morning. Lasix and Aldactone. Notice the roll of paper towels? That's what I shield the two of us in as we spend the next 45 minutes getting meds down him.




Granted, I do wonder how much actually gets down him sometimes. Most of the time it ends up on both of us.

I know you are dying to know what they all are, and what they are for...(Acutally I think I just need to remind myself!! )

Okay.....

Prevacid....1x a day for reflux
PolyViSol Vitamins....1x a day so that I feel like something good is going into his body once in a while. I like to think it keeps him a little bit healthier.
Norvasc....2x a day a blood pressure med for lowering the pressures in his lungs.
Lasix....1x a day for helping get rid of fluid
Aldactone....1x a day does the same thing as lasix, but this is a potassium sparing diuretic. Gotta have potassium!!
Motrin....as needed. He needed it last night for a fever and his sore swollen throat.
Ear Drops....2x a day to keep infection away from his new ear tubes.
Augmentin....2x a day antibiotic for his newly acquired potato aspiration pneumonia.
Clyndomyicin.....3x a day the second antibiotic for his pneumonia.

The last two are only for the next 10 days, then we should be off of them. Still, holy smokes I am feeling a bit overwhelmed! I can't even find time to go to the bathroom anymore. If I don't miss a dose, or forget to give a med over the next few days it will be a miracle!!

But look at this face.....It just makes it all worth it!!!


11 comments:

RK said...

That reminds me of the pre-heart surgery days. I feel your pain, but that's even more than ours, I think! You're right though...that face is precious!

Stephanie said...

Pam, go to Aiden's page to claim your award.

Michelle said...

I have to say, the "newly acquired potato aspiration pneumonia" made me do a double take!

Not fun - but you're right, that face is worth it!!

Niksmom said...

Ah yes, I rememberthe days when Nik was on some of those same meds! Still takes the Prilosec/Prevacid. Meds-giving time is the one time of day I am THRILLED about the g-tube! I know how awful those things taste and cannot even imagine the fight we'd have on our hands!

But, you are so right...that smiling happy face makes it worth the struggle!

Emily said...

Yep, that smiling face is well worth it! I just tried to give my 3 year old some medicine and it ended up across the room. Macy is just on Lasix and Aldactone right now and I think she only gets about 1/2 the dose, the rest ends up under her chin.

Carey said...

that's the cutest picture ever!!! He's worth all the trouble of the meds though, I know it seems overwhelming at times, but you just have to remember they're worth it! Now next time I'm complaining will you remind me of that?

Marla said...

What an adorable bath time picture. So, tell me....do you dream about medications...the dosage....the name...what they do and if they are helping. I have more dreams about medications. I must say I do not consider them good dreams. It seems when we have to think so much about them we dream about them too?

Mayte said...

He is precious

Kari said...

*sigh Yes Tristan takes some of those. I add some of them to milk and he drinks them because we discovered he was aspirating his meds and getting phnemonia UGH Luckily now that he is older some of his meds come in chewable tasty pill form and his asthma stuff is given via nebulizer. I'm really sorry to hear about the potato incident sheesh poor lil dude and poor Mommy!! Praying he doesn't have any in his lungs!!! I just love the photo that lil guy sure is worth it. People often ask me how I do it being single and all and my response is always the same "Just look at him he lightens up my life" :)

Sustenance Scout said...

Love this photo, Pam! Thanks for the smile! K.

Auhdrur said...

Notice the candy in the right hand corner. He needs that as well. Ha Ha

Love your husband,
Andy