Thursday, March 6, 2008

Scary.......

Last night I went upstairs to get Rhett ready for bed. He was toddling around the house in just his jeans, no shirt or anything. I turned around to make sure the door to the downstairs was shut, and realized that Rhett wasn't right by me.

My first thought was the bathroom. Rhett loves the bathroom, and no matter how many times I pound it in my kids heads, they will not keep the upstairs bathroom door closed. I am constantly finding it open. I have gone over and over it with them that the way Rhett dives in the toilet head first, he could very easily drown.

Sure enough I can hear him jabbering from the bathroom. I look around the corner and see him reaching for something on the counter. All of the sudden the hairs on my neck stood up as I realized that I could smell the candle that I have on a warmer in there.

In slow motion, I watched him reach up, grab the candle and dump all of the hot wax all down him. It was just a small Glade candle, so I think he thought it was a cup of juice.

I am not going to even begin to tell you the words that went through my head, and I think a few even escaped my mouth. I grabbed him and Andy came running. He picked him up and there was stuff peeling off of his stomach. I got sick, thinking it was his skin. But then Andy showed me it was just the wax coming off. After looking him over, he had wax on his face, down his neck, all over his arms and on his stomach.

I felt so bad. First off, I always keep the warmer and candle on the very back of the counter by the mirror, where even my 5 year old can't reach it. Second, I know for a fact that I hadn't turned it on. I only turn it on when we have guests over to mask any odors that might lurk after someone uses the restroom.

Come to find out, our 12 yr old had turned it on, and brought it forward to the edge of the counter. He was also the culprit for leaving the door open. The thing that makes me so angry was that Andy and I have told him over and over that if he can't shut that door, not to use that bathroom. He shuts every other bathroom door in the house except that one.

It only took seconds for Rhett to be in there. All I did was turn around and shut another door, to stop him from falling down the stairs. It wasn't even 15 seconds from the time I turned around to shut the door, that he had pulled the candle over on him.

He ended up looking like he had a sunburn on his chest, and his cheeks are a little redder than normal. At one point we were worried that he possibly drank some of it, as he would gasp a little when we touched him. But I think it was just the shock of it. I hooked him up to his oxygen sat monitor, and he was saturating in the mid 90's, so that was good.

We are so lucky that it wasn't any worse than what it was. Needless to say, all of my candles and warmers have been put away. I am not risking that again.

20 comments:

RK said...

Thank God he's ok!!! I was reading as fast as I could, almost afraid of reading the next line! Everything seems to happen so fast...that's my fear. We have an inground pool 2 steps out the back door, and I've already started to worry about that, even though she's not mobile yet. Sounds like you handled everything just perfect for the situation...so sorry he had to be scared, though.

~Melissa~ said...

Oh how scary!! I'm glad that he is ok!!

Niksmom said...

Oh boy. SOOO glad Rhett is OK! We had something like that happen at Christmas at my sister's house; it was a red candle on a warmer and I thought he was bleeding! It does only take a split second for our little ones to find trouble, doesn't it?

Childlife said...

Oh that WAS scary!! I'm glad he's ok... I am always just stunned at how fast they can get into trouble!

Kitty, Nathanael's Mom said...

*GASP* I about died and i'm clear across the country. I hope he's ok, no major burns then? it only takes a second! I am ALWAYS telling my kids to shut the bathroom door, same as Rhett, nathanael LOVES to scuba into the toilet... {{{hugs}}}

Kari said...

Thank goodness your lil guy is ok. Don't beat yourself up Pam. Unfortunatley accidents like this happen no matter how careful we are. Just wait until he learns to open the doors himself. That's where we are right now NO fun. Tristan is on a wrecking streak this week. He flushed something and clogged my toilet ($$$$) He broke my cell phone in half ($$$) He also climbed into my sink and stood to look at himself in the mirror and turned on the hot water while standing in there. It all happened so fast but luckily he was ok. This week I have to buy some locks! Now will anyone remember to lock the doors. I can't imagine how traumatized you must have been when the wax peeled off. Made my heart jump in my throat just reading it. Take Care!

Marla said...

My heart was racing reading this. The last thing you guys need is Rhett with bad burns! Poor little guy! I bet he was so scared. I am glad you put those candles away. Rhett is such a handfull! Full of energy. My first thought was it went in his mouth. Thank goodness it did not. Hugs. Hugs and more hugs. Whew!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I am so glad it wasn't worse. Those mommy instincts are usually right.

Kaden and Ava's mommy said...

I bet that was scary, just reading it made me nervous. I am glad that he is alright. I could not even imagine...
Maybe this will help your other children remember to close the bathroom doors. I know that young minds have a lot of other things to think about and do not realize serious consequences that come with things...no matter how many times you tell them : ). I am just glad that everyone is ok. You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers. Take care. Love, Amy

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

How scary! So glad he's ok!

Damama T said...

Like everyone else, I was holding my breath until I read that he's OK. THANK GOD, and thank a quick acting mother who loves and takes wonderful care of her babies. Did I tell you that you are amazing. I did? Well, it bears repeating. You amaze me. xoxoxo

mom2noah said...

I'm glad Rhett was not seriously hurt. Quick lil bugger huh? I agree with others not to beat yourself up over it, Rhett is OK and your 12yr I'm sure has gotten a clear message about keeping the door closed.

It just amazing how quick our kids can be when they are motivated. Try and have a peaceful and uneventful weekend. Hugs Terry

Megan said...

Whew, I too am glad that everything is okay. It's crazy how fast things like that can happen. You do have great mommy instincts. I'm happy that little Rhett is alright (:

Beth said...

I am so glad he is ok!! Amazing how quickly they can get into things!!!

Lily said...

You need to start out by saying Rhett is alright, but this is what happened...I was panicing! Glad he is okay!

Mrs Wibbs said...

...Praise God he is safe!!

Jen P said...

Any mom's nightmare! Glad he is ok and thank you for sharing to remind us that we can never be too careful and as much as we love our kids (and hub) we have to always inspect what we expect. sigh...

amy flege said...

thank goodness he is ok. how scary!! the little stinkers are so fast, arent they?

The Bryant Family said...

They are so darn quick arent they. I am glad he is OK. I know about pounding things into the other kids heads....Tucker likes to play in the toilet water, he hasnt figured out how to lift the lid himself yet but that time is coming too. Dont beat yourself up too much, accidents happen, even when we pound pound pound things in...human error. HUGS TO YOU!

Mary Kate said...

How horrifying! I am so glad that Rhett is okay! It is amazing how quickly kids can get into trouble. It is if they are magnets and are attracted to the most dangerous thing in their vicinity. I am so glad that he didn't drink the candle. I never even considered the fact that would be an attractive idea to a child.